JUNE 15-22, 2019
- How to lead a prenatal, postnatal, and mommy & me yoga class
- Understand what an expecting mother is experiencing
- How to develop relationships with the mommy community and healthcare professionals
- Know what to suggest in class, the to do’s and not to do’s
- How to develop a Prenatal, Postnatal, and Mommy & Me yoga sequences for public classes and private sessions or personal use
- Techniques specialized to the needs of pregnant women for each trimester, empowering their labor, delivery, and postnatal recovery
- How to design a lesson plan for each trimester with creative themes
- Anatomy and physiology related to pregnancy
- Traditional yoga philosophy as it applies to pregnancy and journey into motherhood
- Pregnancy conditions
- Verbal and manual adjustments
- Restorative and relaxation techniques
- Partner Prenatal Yoga
- What you can do to support a growing community of moms and moms-to-be
- All the current birthing trends
- How to communicate confidently to new moms their options for prenatal, labor, delivery and postnatal postures and centering techniques
- Comprehensive Manual
- Daily prenatal, postnatal, and Mommy & Me yoga classes
- Daily meditation and pranayama sessions
- Daily lectures and workshops on pregnancy and birth
- Certification upon completion
- 7 nights accommodation
- 3 fresh meals daily
(schedule may vary):
6:00AM Morning meditation+pranayama+asana practice
9:00AM Lecture & workshops
12:00PM Lunch and break
2:00PM Lecture & workshops
7:00PM Evening Lecture
Uvita is a small village on the southwest coast of Costa Rica. It is notable for being located where the mountains most closely reach the Pacific Ocean and is the closest village to Marino Ballena National Park (roughly a 40 minute walk, or 5 minute taxi ride). This tropical hamlet possesses great charm in an unspoiled and serene atmosphere. With palm trees swaying in the wind, providing shady relief from the intense Pacific sun, there is plenty of outdoor options in this tropical paradise.
Uvita is the major stomping ground of Costa Rica’s whale and dolphin species. The nation’s most iconic and oft-spotted whale, the humpback, spends more than eight months a year in these waters – the longest humpback whale season in the world!
Upon your arrival, the Diaz family welcomes you with open arms, taking you in as one of their own. Inside the house you’ll feel right at home, and part of the jungle in this 2 story “tree house” paradise. With hiking trails right on site, you’ll have ample opportunity to explore both without and within.
Classes are held on a large solid wood yoga platform alongside a natural creek in the rainforest and in a cozy classroom in the main building. You will always be within earshot of songbirds and able to enjoy the view of towering ancient trees. Frequent visitors include howler monkeys, sloths, iguanas and beautiful tropical birds.
Our training is designed to help you connect with and nurture your highest Self through asana, meditation, pranayama, movement and nature.
Hospedaje El Bosquecito is situated on a quiet section of the main road of Uvita. Located right beside a small creek and forest, guests have the pleasure of being up close to birds, toucans, monkeys, sloths, and iguanas. The sound of the water brings a tranquil atmosphere. Restaurants, banks, and other services are a short walk away.
Our accommodations offer guests a serene and peaceful home away from home experience. The rooms are equipped with full bathrooms and windows that open to beautiful jungle scenery. Although hot water is not plumbed into the main house, we do have a hot water shower on site available to all. However, the cool water showers are a welcome treat after a long hot day. Wifi is accessible from the rooms and throughout the house. Fall asleep to the sound of a babbling brook right outside your window!
The night prior to the first day of class is included in your course fee; you must arrive by the afternoon, as the welcome ceremony will begin at 3:00PM.
This course includes 3 home-cooked vegetarian meals per day Monday through Friday, and breakfast only on Saturday and Sunday. Our food is locally sourced and meals are largely typical Costa Rican cuisine, with ample amounts of fresh tropical fruits! Please plan to purchase your own snacks between meals.
Please notify us in advance if you are:
- Gluten Free
- Lactose Free
- Other dietary requirements needed
- Eco hikes (medicinal plants, local wildlife, mangroves, beach, and primary rain forest)
- River swim and meditation
- Enchanted bamboo forest
- Waterfall adventures
- Parque Nacional Marino Ballena (5,510 hectares of beach, mangrove estuary, lowland rainforest and marine habitats)
- Triple Shared Room (3-4 People Per Room) + 3 Meals 1,699 USD
- Double Shared Room + 3 Meals 1,799 USD
- Private Room + 3 Meals 1,999
- Private Room & Private Balcony + 3 Meals 1,999
*Prices include all coursework & meals (except Saturday & Sunday lunch and dinner) and accommodations. Price does not include Airfare, transportation to Uvita, text books, or optional excursions.
**Email us about the cost of tuition only (if you live near or already have a place to stay in Uvita).
Florida native Dori Thomsen, is a 500-hr ERYT, Co-Founder of Soluna Yoga + Spa with her husband, Christian. She first entered a yoga class over a decade ago, while a freshman in college at UNF, but found her true calling to teach yoga while living in Costa Rica. Dori gained the 200-hr Registered Yoga Teacher certification in 2010 with the Yoga Alliance, at an ashram in Guatemala, under the guidance of her teacher Paula Tursi of Reflections Yoga. She lived in Costa Rica for 5 years and taught for 3 of those years before returning back to the States. While living there, she continued her studies and earned a certificate in Prenatal Yoga & Restorative Yoga in 2011 and to also lead Stand Up Paddleboard Yoga in 2012. She is considered a pioneer of SUP Yoga in Central America, while living and teaching there and has now returned to Jacksonville with her family. In February of 2016, she completed her 500-hr advanced training, humbly earning the certificate of Yoga Acharya (Yoga Master) with Bhooma Chaitanaya and Swami Yogeshananda Saraswati at Aarsha Yoga Vidya Peetham in Kerala, India. Dori is passionate about teaching Meditation, Pranayama, and all styles of yoga and incorporates this free form expression of yoga in her classes, while encouraging her students to connect to the root and explore the practice. Dori is also passionate about teaching Prenatal Yoga, has been leading the classes since 2011, and enjoys connecting moms and moms-to-be; growing the village that it truly takes to raise a child. She became a Mother in 2013 and met her greatest teacher when they welcomed a baby girl into this world. She considers her daughter, Olive, to be her Guru. Olive continually teaches Dori how to love unconditionally and how to create authentic connection through communication, movement and breath. Olive also taught her how to lead Mommy & Me Yoga, attending these classes with Dori regularly. The doors to Soluna Yoga + Spa opened in December of 2014 and was voted #1 Yoga Studio by Jacksonville Magazine in 2016 & 2017! You can find Dori teaching classes and workshops at Soluna and leading Yoga & SUP Yoga Retreats in the States and Costa Rica. When Dori is not at Soluna, she enjoys spending time traveling with her family, planting seeds in their garden, and taking time to press pause.